Monday 9 July 2012

Hostels...

I’m not quite sure if this is going to work or not but I will try to write few things in English. Polish is still easier but some of my English speaking friends were interested in my blog. So here it is, just for you....

Today...  just a few thoughts about hostels, those cheap accommodations where people (mostly students) share a room with other people they don’t know. Well, my first hostel stay was in Berlin, few years ago. Of course, it all started with not having money and trying to spend as less as possible, so hostel seemed like the best solution. And it was! I remember it was clean and comfortable and I’ve met lots of people, which was nice. I really had a good stay there, but it was a long time back and I didn’t think much of it until few months ago when hostels became a part of my life.

I remember a conversation, I had not long ago, with a very good friend of mine. I was moaning (that’s what I do the best lately) that I didn’t sleep because one of the lady, who I shared the room with, was snoring all night long. It was absolutely the most terrible snoring sound I’ve ever heard. So after half an hour going on and on about it (how boring!) my friend suggested that maybe next time I could treat myself and book a single room in some nice b&b. After, I started to think more deeply about the whole idea of staying in hostels. Yes, it started because of money and I couldn’t afford anything better, but it’s not the case anymore. I could stay somewhere better, in fact I do at times, but most of the time I choose hostels. Why?
I love people, I love meeting new people and love talking to people. It’s amazing! I’ve met so many individuals from all over the world and each one of them has a story to tell. And this is it, I think. It’s the learning experience I like the most: learning about things to do, that I didn’t have an idea about, learning about new books to read, films to see or places to visit. But most of all – listening (and also talking) about their lives. Most people I've met were so inspiring. I believe that strangers who share the same room just for one or two nights are usually very honest and I’m usually very honest with them. There is no need to pretend or make ourselves look better because, at the end of the day, we’ll probably never see each other again and most definitely we won't keep in touch.      
  

No comments:

Post a Comment